A Summer of BBQ’s may be coming to an end, but that doesn’t mean that a daily dose of deliciousness has to be missed out on! In a bid to beat the back-to-school blues for your child (and, you!) we’ve popped together 5 tasty ideas for their next lunch box.
An Important Meal...
Lunch is an incredibly important point in the school day and should aim to provide at least 1/3 of your child’s daily requirements. A tasty, well-proportioned lunch can help your child stay motivated and concentrate in the afternoon – ensuring that they’re getting the best from their class!
Fun fact: Only 46% children’s lunch boxes in the UK in 2017 contained a bottle of water. Water gives the brain the electrical energy for all brain functions, including thought and memory processes… Remember to keep hydrated!
Before you tackle the lunchbox, you may face another challenge. Is your child a selective eater? If so, read on for three useful tips to get your child excited for lunch.
Learn where food comes from together… Learning about plants, farming and fishing can be a great way to get your child excited about food! By nurturing this process with them, you’re leading them through the journey of how their food gets on their plate – education is a perfect catalyst.
Get them involved… Of course, you’ll be there to ensure that they don’t just pack in pizza every day! But, by getting your child involved in the meal preparation they’re invested in their own lunch box, and it can work wonders to stimulate their appetite for it the next day.
Talk with other parents… How do your child’s friend’s parents ensure a well-balanced lunch for their little one? Catch-up with them for helpful hints.
Make It Tasty...
Be flexible with your lunch box choices. You’ll want to engage your child, as well as fill ‘em up with all the good stuff, including proteins, veg, fruit and fibre. These 5 delicious lunch ideas will help your kid kick the back-to-school blues and stomp on high fat, salt and sugar content!
- Food is tastier on sticks. FACT. We’re sure your kids will agree! Treat them to deli meats and Suffolk Gold cheese kebabs. A great way to make lunch a little more engaging!
- Has your child got a sweet tooth? Pop together peaches, strawberries, blueberries and basil, then add a dash of maple syrup, lemon juice and a dollop of balsamic vinegar for contrast. The antioxidants in blueberries also help to boost concentration and memory!
- Satisfy your kid’s appetite with a perfect pasta salad. There’re tons of combos you can try, and we’re sure you’ll find your favourites! We’d recommend opting for chicken, cucumber, cherry tomatoes and Wyke Farms mild cheddar.
- Feeling inspired? Treat your kids to a Mexican classic… Wyke Farms mature cheddar quesadilla, guacamole, salsa and a side of tortilla chips.
- Take a bread break, serve up a little tub of hummus with fresh broccoli, raw carrot, green pepper or cucumber sticks – the perfect dipping partner!
We hope that these 5 alternative lunch box ideas will inspire you to create more tasty treats. If you have any particularly popular lunches with your kids – do share them over on our Facebook Page!
Don’t forget to stock up on delicious, seasonal fresh fruit and vegetables to pack out your creative lunch boxes. They’re all available to order for delivery to your door…. You’ll never need to run short again!